On Sun, Feb 7, 2016 at 10:39 PM, Matthias-Christian Ott <ott at mirix.org>
wrote:

> On 2016-02-08 04:31, Roger Binns wrote:
> > On 07/02/16 00:56, Dominique Pell? wrote:
> >> I'm curious about the outcome on SQLite benchmarks.
> >
> > About a year ago I tried them out on some tight code (non-SQLite) that
> > absolutely had to use less CPU time.  I couldn't get them to make any
> > difference outside the bounds of measurement error.  Since SQLite has
> > lots of "tight code" places, the instrumentation would have to help in
> > most of them to make a difference (Amdahl's law).
>
> Amdahl's law is not applicable here and describes a completely different
> problem. SQLite does not involve concurrency.

"Amdahl's law _In computer architecture, Amdahl's law (or Amdahl's
argument[1]) gives the theoretical speedup in latency of the execution of a
task at fixed workload that can be expected of a system whose resources are
improved."

You _can_ use it to analyze why parallelizing an algorithm across N CPUs
won'y cause the runtime to become 1/N, but that's not the only use.

In typical scenarios SQLite is also limited by the number of IOPS and
> optimization to improve branch predictability have no measurable effect
> and you just waste time with them. Just use PCIe SSDs that are able to
> saturate the bus and all of you performance problems with SQLite are
> gone if you use SQLite on typical computer.

In fact, your argument here is Amdahl's Law.  If your performance is
primarily limited by I//O latency, then improving CPU efficiency won't help
much.

-scott