Olivier Mascia wrote:
> it looks evident that the command-line tool of sqlite3 is meant to be
> compiled as a narrow I/O program. It uses the standard main() and not
> wmain(), ... and does not attempt to use the wide chars in or out
> channels.

That's just because UTF-8 is the most portable encoding; it works by
default on every OS except Windows.

> WriteConsoleW ... introduces the will to use widechar output within
> a program designed for narrow output at first.

A conversion to the console code page would have to go through wide
characters anyway.  I do not understand what technical objection you
have against UTF-16, but on Windows, it cannot be avoided.

> Most people using sqlite3.exe interactively (on windows) won't expect
> to have correct console output for international texts

Oh yes they do.  Nowadays, knowledge of codepages is very rare.

Regards,
Clemens