yes, you are right, I actually have the same version, two years old anyway
The feature I was missing is "savefile and writefile" functions for blob
fields which comes I think in 2014-06
(http://www.sqlite.org/src/finfo?name=ext/misc/fileio.c)
So for that problem, probably it is enough adding fileio.c to the code
and build again dbsql

And for getting benefit from sqlite bugfixes in this period I guess the
only way is to merge
manually the versions. I have compared the original code of sqlite
3.8.3.1 with  the adapted for berkeley
and fortunately the changes are minimal.