Richard, I can confirm that having a writable connection open first, prior to
trying any reads, does avoid the "database is locked" error.  However, I still
do get "SQLite error (17): statement aborts" errors.  What are the rules I must
follow to avoid getting these SQLITE_SCHEMA errors?  I am not running any SQL
that I would generally consider to be altering the schema. I'm simply doing
multiple concurrent reads on read-only connections and running INSERT/UPDATE
(not CREATE/DROP) statements on the writable connection.  Thank you.

Vince Scafaria