At 16:14 09/03/2016, you wrote:
>On 3/9/2016 9:58 AM, R Smith wrote:
>>On 2016/03/09 4:35 PM, Igor Tandetnik wrote:
>>>Yes, but why is that a problem? It is perfectly legal, and often
>>>useful, for a subquery to refer to columns from enclosing query.
>>>That's what makes it a *correlated* subquery.
>>
>>True, but the OP's result is still in error.
>
>Yes, I realize that. I was only arguing against the proposition that
>the query is syntactically invalid and should have been rejected on
>these grounds.
>--
>Igor Tandetnik

Sorry guys, I don't know why I wrote that. In fact I know: I shouldn't
be talking over the phone while reading the list.

Of course I use correlated subqueries a lot, but never had to re-select
a column from the enclosing query. Indeed, I'd say that most of the
time one uses columns from enclosing query as expressions, e.g. in
comparison operators or functions in a where clause.

The OP query is pretty uncommon since it's guaranteed to produce an
empty result, hence it's no surprise that the bug was so old.