Is there some absolute requirement that it all be done in SQL?  Depending on
the number of "items", it'd probably be faster in a loop in code.

Even in MSSQL Server using TSQL, you're better off using a cursor for that sort
of thing. I only use UPDATE FROM when I need a join to formulate the WHERE
clause.