I knew I had done this before.  I don't know if this is still relevant.
Tested in FF38.

I'm old skool, don't use CSS all that much, and I don't even know if this
is a CSS2 or 3 thing.  I typically do back end code, I'm no where near a UI
designer or artist.  When I do have to make a web UI, I typically put lists
of things in a table.  When I create a table, I use the following code:

What happens here is that the table is drawn, keeps to the left of the
page.  The contents can be of any width, so if you have a min width, or a
max width, slap within a TR or TD.  Any other tables that are created with
this define is kept to the right.  Any table that doesn't fit is put on a
"new line(?)" or whatever you want to call it.  Beneath the current set of
tables.

Where I copy/pasted that code from I can't give you full examples, but when
I get the chance tonight at home, I can come up with a sample if you want.

You web designers and developers can hate on me ALL you want.  I enjoy it.
;)