>> As already stated, and per my own experience, each thread should have it's
>> own connection and do whatever it needs to do there, without interference
>> from other threads.
>
>I appreciate this point.  Early prototyping indicated that this might not be
>possible for our system, which makes me a little nervous if that is what most
>users end up doing.  We will >definitely take another look at not sharing
>connections.

Maybe consider creating a pool of "reader" threads that get created at
application startup. Each one opens it's very own dedicated connection at the
beginning. Also have one "listener" thread that accepts requests and farms them
out to the "readers".

That way you have control over the number of connections being created and the
overhead of connecting is done once at application startup.

 Gunter Hick
Software Engineer
Scientific Games International GmbH
FN 157284 a, HG Wien
Klitschgasse 2-4, A-1130 Vienna, Austria
Tel: +43 1 80100 0
E-Mail: h...@scigames.at

This communication (including any attachments) is intended for the use of the
intended recipient(s) only and may contain information that is confidential,
privileged or legally protected. Any unauthorized use or dissemination of this
in error, please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail message and
delete all copies of the original communication. Thank you for your cooperation.