On 2 Oct 2016, at 10:47pm, Domingo Alvarez Duarte <mingo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How do you use those big databases ?

Just a note that it's not the big databases which are a problem.  Like another
poster I too use big databases in production -- 43GB in my case.  And that
particular database resembles the one from the OP: it's mostly one very thin
table with a huge number of rows.

The problem here is that OP has an UPDATE command which updates a lot of rows,
and they have only 2GB of cache space.  Since the UPDATE command is all one
transaction all the lines which are changed have to be held in the journal
before any changes can be made to the actual database file.  Which means that
SQLite is effectively copying the entire table.

To see if it helps I have recommended that the OP changes their journal mode.

Simon.