Hello all,
I've searched the list archive and didn't find any mention of this.
Google has lots of hits, but every board posting with a resolution was
left as 'resolved' with little explanation. :(

I have  clean install of Debian Etch with lighttpd, php5-cgi,
php-sqlite3, xml_core, sqlite3, sqlite-doc installed and setup
according to these instructions:
http://trac.lighttpd.net/trac/wiki/TutorialLighttpdAndPHP
phpinfo() shows all is well with php, and sqlite3 support is enabled
(library version 3.3.8).

My php script dies with "Fatal error: Call to undefined function
sqlite_open() in /var/www/index.php on line 470"

Line 470 is simply "$db = sqlite_open($db_path . $db_name) or
die("Could not open database! Error on line: " . __LINE__);"

The aforementioned 'resolved' posts indicated mod_rewrite was an/the
issue, so I tried enabling that in lighttpd.conf with no change in
results.