2011/10/16 Frank Missel <i...@missel.sg>

> But it sounds a bit like Fabian both wants to have the total number of
> records available and at the same time limit the count.

No, I only want to have a capped total available.

If I would go with Simons solution, I have to read the rows for the first
100 pages (or whatever the cap is) into a temporary table, just to show the
first page. I don't need a cache for all those other pages, so that seems a
lot of overhead. I only want to know if there are 100 or less pages (without
copying data around).

Maybe COUNT() is also creating a temporary table behind the scenes, then the
performance of Simons solutions would be comparable with what I have now,
and I would have the advantage that I can re-use that table to show
subsequent pages without reading from disk.

But I always assumed COUNT() was faster than copying between tables, maybe I
should just benchmark it.