What I've seen is that windows makes a local copy of the memory mapped
file.  Perhaps  in swap. If you watch your application using "ProcMon"
you can see all the disk IO. That's how I noticed the copy.

For  my  usage,  only  one  process  opens  the  DB  so,  maybe it's a
non-issue.

PI> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Jean-Christophe Deschamps
PI> <j...@antichoc.net> wrote:
>> Pavel,
>>
>>> This is not a local file. Even if you use your hostname as netname
>>> file is still retrieved through network stack. And I guess SAMBA
>>> doesn't work well with memory mapped files (in addition to all
>>> problems with locking).
>>
>> True but why did I get no error?  Since MMF don't cope with network it would
>> be  good to get a no-no somewhere.  I really don't know which layer should
>> bark however.

PI> I can't answer this question. Maybe it's something like all operations
PI> are successful but memory mapping is not actually shared between
PI> processes. So every process sees its own copy and assumes that no
PI> other process works with database, thus database can be corrupted in
PI> many possible ways.

PI> Pavel

Best regards,
 Teg                            mailto:t...@djii.com