Looks promising!
With the me triggers mentioned in
http://www.sqlite.org/src/artifact/fdc666a70d5257a64fee209f97cf89e0e6e32b51
, it can be a really time saver. Its awful having to deal with two tables
that store a single, split up entity, also the inability to create
additional indexes on the text columns (when needed i must make a shadow
copy on the real table only to have it indexed)

Any speed comparisons were made on regular+fts tables joined when searching,
vs fts4 + external content table triggered in the way described above ?