On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 12:34 PM, Roger Binns <rog...@rogerbinns.com> wrote:
> On 30/07/14 10:05, Nico Williams wrote:
>> Users travel; they don't have a single timezone.  What matters is: the
>> TZ when a user posted / did something, so you can have a vague idea of
>> when they might be sleeping / unavailable.
>
> I'm not sure if you are disagreeing or agreeing with me.

I wasn't either.  But I am now: I'm agreeing with you: timezone needs
to be accounted for as close to the user as possible.  In a web
application, as Simon points out, this should be done in JavaScript on
the page, not on the server.

> There is no need for timezones even for your example.  Displaying the
> timestamp relatively solves that (eg "13 hours ago").

I find that somewhat obnoxious.  I often prefer absolute time and, and
with a clue as to the poster's timezone (e.g., as in e-mail), as that
tells me a lot about the user.  On the other hand, why should I know
that about the user?  It's an information leak they might not like.

Nico