I'm running Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.0 - 1449829896 @ Fri Dec
11.  Seems like there's an update available every day.  Is there
development work taking place?

Yes, 7.9 is under +/- active development. It's a community build, not supported by Logitech (only sponsored - as I'm the main contributor :-)).

I thought the Squeezebox was dead.

The product is no longer marketed by Logitech, that's true. But there's still an active community here.

Should I be downloading each update as it becomes available, or are
these all the same files (just being archived with a new date)?

Yes, please make sure you install the latest, as I did a few things a week or so ago, and needed to fix them in the last days.

--

Michael