d6jg wrote:
> I remember this scenario. My first venture into LMS was with a QNAP
> TS109. I still have it as a working secondary by NAS but gave up running
> LMS on it when I realised that I didn't (at that stage) know enough
> about Linux to easily upgrade it from its stock 7.6.1. I did at one
> stage manage to get it to 7.7.5 but when everyone was talking about all
> the features in 7.9.x I looked at alternatives.
>
> Given that Capri has no Linux skills and this is a lesser known NAS I
> think a rethink is required. I restate that a Pi pointed at the NAS is
> easy and doesn't require any Linux knowledge - only the ability to grasp
> some concepts and ask the right questions.

This is pretty much what I did - migrated from an Ubuntu PC that I
didn't want to have running 24/7 to a two-bay QNAP running LMS. Owing to
a bunch of issues around the BASH vulnerability and SSOTS no longer
being maintained, and the fact that the QNAP software updates sometimes
affected software such as LMS, I switched to a Pi3 as a server, with the
files on the QNAP. It works very well and was really easy to set up.
There's also a benefit to using something a bit more mainstream and
supported (piCorePlayer has a very active thread in these forums).

Robert

*Home: *Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9  with files on QNAP TS-239
Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega
Planar 3 and Naim CD3)
PiCorePlayer(Pi2) with touchscreen and IQAudIO DAC+>Sennheisers
2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired)
*Office:* LMS7.9 running on WiFi MyPassport drive >
piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier
SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob