GRC wrote:
> Honourable Senior Members and Windows gurus: rather than trying to
> capture the offending software -in flagrante- as it were, is there a way
> to find out which application or process was the last to modify a given
> file or its attributes?
>
> I tried using Event Viewer to look at a 2-minute time period before,
> during and after some of the files were corrupted but there were so many
> logs / sources etc. I didn't really know where to start or what to look
> for.

You don't mean Windows Event Viewer, but rather the Process Monitor,
right? If so, did you manage to configure the filters as I've proposed?
If yes, there shouldn't be too much events and all should be about
writing files in the path you've entered.

In fact, there's a Windows built-in alternative to the Process Monitor
to get the process that has modified a file. It's the Windows security
auditing. But IMO it's too complicated to setup appropriately...