Does anyone know if there's a major performance hit if you use a network
storage device for your music?

I run LMS 7.9.0 on a Windows 2008 Server Virtual Machine, running on an
ESXi host. My music is stored on a 4TB NTFS-formatted SATA drive. I've
tried connecting this drive to the ESXi host machine in a couple of ways
(e.g. internally connected directly to the SATA controller, and
externally in a USB enclosure), and mapping it using RDM, but the VM
environment doesn't handle it well at all - the disk always becomes
corrupt after a relatively short period of time. Probably a hardware
compatibility issue between the drive (a WD Blue) and ESXi. Or maybe the
size of the drive is a problem for ESXi.

Anyway I'm now thinking of transplanting the drive to my Linux file
server in the loft, and pointing LMS at it from the Windows VM
downstairs, but wanted to get feedback on whether this is a good idea
before I embark on the whole process.

Any views?