For those, like me, that have been troubled by this, I have found an
easy and cheap way to set up a VPN.  No need to configure a router or
subscribe to a VPN service - just use a spare Raspberry Pi and use
DietPi to install PiVPN.   PiVPN leads you through a list of simple
questions to complete the VPN configuration and create certificates.

Then all that is left is to install OpenVPN on the clients, and close
down the insecure open ports on your router and set up a dynamic DNS.
The most difficult part is getting the certificates onto the iPhones and
iPads via iTunes because of Apple's peculiarities.

Now I have it set up, I can stream from LMS, Plex, BBC iPlayer and use
wifi hotspots safely.   It's been on 24/7 and it just works, no problem
at all.

If anyone would like some more detailed advice please let me know and I
can write something up.  But I just wanted to spread the word about how
easy it was because of the combination of RPi, DietPi and PiVPN (even if
it is strictly off topic!)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk