I assumed this was going to be easy, since I’ve done it all locally for
years at home, but so far I’m very frustrated.

I’m trying to create a standalone squeezeserver installation for my
remote cabin.  I have spotty internet there (1 bar LTE on my cell that I
use as a hotspot).  I have a boom I bring up there, but because of the
connectivity it’s really really frustrating to use as it disconnects
all the time, has lag, etc.

Basically, I want a small thing running SBS, connected via an ethernet
cable, no router if possible, serving up local content.  As a bonus,
when I have reliable internet, I’d like it to connect.  I don’t want
to use a router unless I absolutely have to (More boxes to maintain)

I picked up a license from Max2Play, and put it on a Pi with
touchscreen, but I’ve corrupted the SD card a few times, and don’t
find it reliable at this point.  Also, it’s really flakey without an
internet connection.  Power goes out, and it can’t find my Boom, or the
Boom can’t find it, etc.  Battery-backing up the Pi would probably go a
ways to making it more reliable, so that’s an option.

I also have a Laptop/Desktop “thing” running Windows 10.  It has a
battery, 7” touchscreen, and 128GB local storage.  I put Desktop SBS on
there, but without a router, the Boom and the SBS can’t see each other
(SBS binds either to localhost or the Wifi IP, and the Boom gets an Auto
IP and can’t find the SBS.  I haven’t figured out how to force the
Desktop SBS to bind to the Ethernet AutoIP).

I’ve tried running DHCPD on Windows, but it’s not working either.  The
Boom doesn’t get an IP address for some reason.  Not sure I have a
decent DHCP server for Windows.

Does anyone have any advice here?  Surviving power loss is a huge issue,
as I’m still on Fuse box up there (!!) and constantly dropping power
running power tools.  :-)

Thanks!
-Dan