can anyone suggest a way to allow me to simply click the playlist and
have it start playing? i'm also unsure what is causing my pi to work so
hard when i click the playlist - loading a list of 6000 items and then
attempting to locate the first one to play it shouldn't be so hard or am
i missing something?

LMS is doing a lot more than just pick a list and keep references to those files in memory (unfortunately). Every item is represented as an object with references to metadata (album, artist(s), genres etc.). Every file is validated at load time whether it's available or not, has updated metadata etc. Therefore such large playlists can cause problems.

That said you might want to re-consider whether the large playlist is the only way to solve your requirement. I doubt these are 6000 hand-picked tracks? Maybe the RandomPlay plugin could do the same job?

--

Michael