It doesn't seem to matter what web browser I use. I've tried firefox and
chrome. Once the web service is "warmed up", I can then close the
browser and reconnect without delay. Or I can start a different browser,
and connect without delay. But if I close all browsers and come back the
next day, I have to wait another 75 seconds.

This sounds as if you were running low on memory: Linux would move LMS out of RAM into the swapping space (on your disk) when it's not being used. Once you want to interact with it, it has to read it from disk, which is much slower than memory. Just an idea. Check your memory usage using "free". What hardware? How much RAM?

--

Michael