On Sat, 2018-09-15 at 11:16 +0000, pag wrote:
> Thanks both for the answers.
>
> I can access the settings page via the direct connection from my Mac
> if I add a username and password.  Is setting the username and
> password the only way to do this?

Wired systems using CAT5 or CAT6 (twisted pair with an RJ45 plug at
each end) cabling are always star topology. Each end device connects to
a hub at the centre of the star and hubs can be daisy-chained together
to form larger networks. This is the normal way to handle private wired
ethernet and does not introduce noticeable delays.

Your problem is that you've declared your Mac as both the RPi's
gateway and, since its where your client web browser also runs, LMS
thinks that, because the gateway and browser have the same IP, the
browser belongs to somebody else out on the internet.

The simple solution, if your router has more than one Ethernet port
is to transfer the RPi connection to the router and set the router's IP
address as its gateway. Now LMS can see that the gateway and client
browser IPs differ, so won't need a username/password.

If your router has only a single Ethernet socket, buy a 4-port hub
(readily available for under a tenner from Amazon or Ebuyer) and a
short ethernet cable (another couple of quid). Connect the hub to your
router and both Mac and RPi to the hub and set the router's IP address
as the RPi's gateway IP. Job done.

Martin