Tony T wrote:
> For a dedicated LMS, consider dumping the old PC, get a Raspberry Pi, a
> hard drive for the music files, and install PiCorePlayer:
> https://www.picoreplayer.org
> (There's a PiCorePlayer forum here:
> https://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?3-Linux-Unix)

Agree. This was dead simple.  I got a RPi 3B+, installed PiCorePlayer
and had it all running in minutes. If you want it to be server only,
that's all you need. If you want it to be a player too, there are other
things you can add (plug in) that turn it into a DAC, an amp, or a
digital streamer.  Again you don't need the extras if it is just running
your LMS.

I can follow instructions but have never "built a computer".   And it
sounds as if your old PC is dead anyhow unrelated to LMS (you said it no
longer boots).

In addition to Daphile, Vortexbox is another turn key solution.  Install
it and it creates an OS, installs LMS (among other things), and can
emulate a Squeezebox player using squeezelite.

*Home:* VBA 4TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio
(ethernet)
*Cottage:* VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch> Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio
w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
*Office:* Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1>Squeezelite
*The Wild (no internet): *PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry
Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
*Controllers:* iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or
SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
*Files:* ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes;
Streaming: Spotify