I have found a workaround for this issue. The workaround is off-topic
for this thread, since it is currently not possible to use cue files
that address multiple source files in LMS. However, it seems to be
possible, in some cases, to achieve the same results by creating a
separate cue file for each audio file. I have described this in more
detail in 'a thread in another forum'
(https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?108121-multiple-album-for-a-track&p=949166&viewfull=1#post949166).
Any discussion of the workaround, as opposed to the topic of this
thread, should probably go there.

The linked post begins with a reference to another workaround, which has
already been discussed in this thread: editing metadata in the files
from a box set so that LMS sees the original albums, while the box set
discs can be accessed through the music folder.

LMS (recent) running on Debian X86_64; 5 Squeezelite players (3 in
PiCorePlayer), 3 players connected via Airplay Bridge
1 Squeezebox Radio (upgraded UE Smart Radio) now mostly retired