bpa, that seemed to do the trick.  For whatever reason the web proxy
line was filled in with something like localhost:7769 or something like
that.  I'm not sure how it happened as I don't even have any idea what a
web proxy really does, but erasing that line seemed to fix the issue.
The part I can't figure out though is that it worked just fine for about
a week and then just stopped started acting up out of the blue.  I
hadn't messed in any settings or installed any plugins that I'm aware
of.  Anyway, I really appreciate the help both of you provided.  I was
starting to go a little mad not being able to figure it out.

Thanks again,
Charlie