Fixed! Except I don't know what I did or why this happened.

I just used SLX on another PC here. That PC and app had been left
running all this time, but with the DAC off. When I went back and used
it just now with the DAC on, music played correctly in that room. I then
tested the SLX on my main PC as well as my Touch and Duet boxen, and all
are working OK now.

That SLX on the other PC was not grouped or synced as far as I could
tell, but perhaps some malfunction of Groups still had it linked, and it
then influenced all the others when it could not fine a DAC locally. Or
at least that's my theory. Things have been strange here in other ways
since I last used my "All" group, which includes both SLX apps and all
the boxen here.

LMS: SGC microJukebox running Sonicorbiter OS
Control apps: Squeezelite-X on Win 10; Squeezer or Material web app on
Android
Players: Duet, Touch (two), Mac SqueezePlay, Win Squeezelite-X on laptop
and HTPC