Interesting.  I don't know if this is related to your problem but I'm
running the latest 7.9.3 version and just recently, when running the web
interface and I get the notification of plugins needing updating, I
click 'OK' to restart the server and it doesn't restart.  In fact the
stopping of squeezesvr hangs and never completes.  I've tried killing
the service in cmd as Administrator but the only solution is to reboot
the PC.
It happened again today so I reinstalled the latest 7.9.3 over the
existing installation to see if it solves the problem.  Time will tell