Is it possible for the media scanner to ignore common variants of Artist
names to avoid duplicates in the Artist list?
(I'm sure this will have been asked before but I couldn't find the
answer.)

We actually did this by default in the past. But it was never good enough: what was an ok solution for some users was considered a bug for others. Therefore we decided at some point that the user should do his homework and we'd read the tags as they are...

For example normalising "The", &, 'and', punctuations and case variants
would prevent these from all being listed as different artists:

Ignoring a leading "The" actually is a feature that still exists. But what about the band "The The"?... :-)

Yes I know I could spend (even more) time with mp3tag but it'd be really
handy to have an LMS scanner option to do this automagically.

Magic is great when it is the way you want. But to get it the way everybody wants is the hard part. It just doesn't work.

--

Michael