(M Herger suggested I post this proposal in a separate thread. Here goes
...)
There is a parameter setting in the plugins stating the "max version"
such as "7.*" which LMS honors and refuse to install or even display in
the "3rd party plugins" list. However, they are retained when upgrading
LMS if they are already installed. It is also possible to install them
manually after editing the parameter, if they can be found and
downloaded. So far this has mostly been a matter of alerting the plugin
maintainer who after some initial testing (usually) updates the
parameter to "8.*" or similar. But some plugins are unmaintained or the
maintainer lacks the time and resources to do testing (and consequent
maintenance).

With regard to the issue of older plugins not maintained and the "max
version" parameter in these, can we not simply delegate the decision to
install these old plugins by means of a new preference setting that
controls whether the "max version" parameter is honored or not? It is
already possible to force an installation manually (after editing some
file in the module). If the default preference is "honor the module
setting" it would require a conscious (I hope) decision by the user to
override it.

Furthermore, bpa's suggestion is excellent:
> As the plugin with 7.* are not presented to an LMS 8.* installation -
> the non compliant plugins could be placed in a repository list separate
> from "3rd Party Plugins" such as - "3rd party plugins - at your peril"
Likewise mherger's caution:
> With a big red warning, well hidden at the
> bottom of the plugins page...

I am sure there are many concerns with this proposal, not the least that
it would risk exposing maintainers to support requests they have no time
for.
Still, it would be interesting to hear what your thoughts are on this.

2 Touch, 2 Picoreplayer  v6.1.0 on RaspBerry 3B
LMS 8.0.1 on Ubuntu 20.04.1 on Intel Core2 Duo E4500 @ 2.20GHz, 2GB. All
wired
Main audio system: Magnepan 3.6, amp "Gdis 400", DAC & pre: NAD M51,
streamers: SB Touch // NAD M50