I'd echo the recommendation for a Pi.

I ran LMS on my ReadyNAS NV+ v2.  It worked, but was never really
responsive enough.

The day I moved to a Pi 4, running piCorePlayer, was transformative.
The interface was so much faster - almost immediate.  And library scans
were so quick, they're almost inconsequential.  I completed my upgrade
by adding a 512GB USB flash drive to the Pi, to move the library local.
The end result?  Awesome, reliable performance, and all for under GBP
100.  Money incredibly well spent.

Server: piCorePlayer 8.0.0 on Pi 4B 2GB running LMS 8.1.1, with library
on local 512GB USB drive
Listening on: 2 x Squeezebox Radios 8.0.1 , and direct from the Pi using
a Beringer UCA202 USB audio interface