1. In PiCore I see the Select Branch options of Release; Stable and
Development. Is it as simple as selecting the branch and then "update
LMS"?

Yes

2. I assume Release is 8.2.0, Stable is 8.2.1 Development 8.3.0

Yes

3. Can I move freely between these branches or is there no going back
without a new install from scratch. eg. If I went to Stable I would be
prevented from returning to Release, or if I went for the development
branch no return to stable or release.

At the moment ... Yes you can move between them - but that is not
guaranteed for the future

4. Given my low level of knowledge ( pretty much non existent on Linux)
am I just asking for trouble in moving at all do you think.

No - but Stable is good unless there are specific new features that you
are expecting to see in Development.

Paul Webster
author of \"now playing\" plugins covering radio france (fip etc),
planetradio (bauer - kiss, absolute, scala, jazzfm etc), kcrw, abc
australia and cbc/radio-canada
and, via the extra \"radio now playing\" plugin lots more - see
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?115201-announce-radio-now-playing-plugin