I'm actually quite sure this is the reason, at least on Google Chrome,
didn't test in any other browser:

1) Take any of the mysqueezebox.com image proxy URL's in the LMS
frontend
2) Try to open it in Google Chrome. Chrome will refuse to display the
artwork as there is no valid certificate. Add a manual exception to
allow Chrome to display the artwork from
https://www.mysqueezebox.com/[your-image-proxy-url]

That's a feature of the browser, not the protocol or the server. Take an older version of Chrome and it would be just fine.

As I said: SB players and older LMS don't even use https at all.

And then there's always the question why would only one user out of thousands experience an issue when it was a server problem?

--

Michael