I know this may not be completely relevant to the ipv6 discussion,
but you buy a lot of flexibility if you abstract out the socket
API /usefully/. You're then able to do the following:

* easily deal with the different crack unices have when twiddling
  socket stuff (eg, via ioctls, grabbing the source address of
  connections in client_side.c(c) or http.c(c), etc.)

* supporting wildly(!) different APIs, such as windows

The only place I see this really breaking is in the ACL code.

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd                    "You don't have a TV? Then what's
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         all your furniture pointing at?"