On 07/16/2014 11:39 AM, Tsantilas Christos wrote:
> Hi all,
>  Squid currently does not make a check for the TOS values used in squid
> configuration file. Squid will accept 8bit numbers as TOS values, however:
>  1) TOS values with 1st ad 2nd bit set can not be used. These bits used
> by the ECN. For Linux if someone try to set the 0x23 value as TOS value
> (which sets 1st and 1nd bits), the 0x20 will be used instead, without
> any warn for the user.
>
>  2) Some of the TOS values are already reserved for example those which
> are reserved from RFC2597.
>
> The above may confuse squid users.
>
> Maybe it is not bad idea to:
>  - Warn users when try to use TOS value which uses the ECN bits
>  - Warn users when try to use TOS values which are not reserved. The
> user will know that this value is free for use.
>
> Opinions?

This is not my area of expertise, but

* the first proposed warning sound good to me, and

* it is not clear to me whether Squid should avoid using ToS values from
RFC 2597. It feels like Squid could, in some cases, _set_ those ToS
values to use RFC 2597 features provided by its network.

Thank you,

Alex.