On 2015-12-29 09:12, George Hollingshead wrote:
I have a localy compilied the latest openssl to default location
/usr/local directory.

If you really have done that then any Squid built after will auto-detect it there and link to that new OpenSSL version using only the "--with-openssl" build option.

Is there a way to run ./configure to use the openssl headers and such
in the /usr/local directories?

If you actually built the newer OpenSSL and placed it somewhere non-default then you should build Squid using "--with-openssl=/path" where the path is the *base* directory under which you installed OpenSSL.

I.e. using --with-openssl=/path literally, autoconf will look for /path/include/openssl/*.h and /path/lib/openssl.a and add the -I and -L compiler flags automatically for you if all the required pieces are actually found there and working. Or will exit with an error stating what parts are broken.

The method Yuri pointed out (adding the compiler flags manually) can also work, but none of the ./configure testing is done to verify the things there are working. So Squid will be built with all OpenSSL bug workarounds disabled, and if any were needed or the openssl install is broken you will not find out until much later in the build process.

PS. same goes for any software correctly using autoconf --with/--without options to link libraries.

Amos