I do not pretend that I have seen everything.

But my personal statistics across multiple servers over they access.log
shows that TCP_MISS/304 in all cases associated with the update
downloaded content (reload/refresh). Accordingly, the logging of this
event as a TCP_MISS seems incorrect and, consequently, leads to errors
in accounting/billing. That, in turn, can lead to a loss of money.

So, nice to have functionality for correct handling this cases.