What may help us move forward is a "reverse mapping" table like this

Row (client-Squid) headings:
* response body sent by Squid to client
* 304 response sent by Squid to client
* 412 response sent by Squid to client

Column (Squid-server) headings:
* no contact with the server
* response body sent by server to Squid
* 304 response sent by server to Squid
* 412 response sent by server to Squid

Each table cell represents a single transaction matching the
intersection of row and column conditions. A cell will contain the
corresponding logged Squid-to-client HTTP status code (where known) and
Squid tag. Some cells may have several lines if several code/tag
combinations are possible.

With some luck, we could then agree which cells should be designated as
"hits", effectively defining what a "hit" is. We may define several
kinds of hits, of course.

I cannot volunteer to fill this table right now, but I think it could be

P.S. This 2D table cannot cover all cases, but we can focus on those
successful transactions that affect hit definition(s) under ordinary
conditions (no aborts, no 503s, etc.).

squid-users mailing list