Hi Andre,

I did not receive your new reply, but I did find it in the mailing list archives in time to download the logs. Thank you for sharing them! FWIW, you may want to CC me in future emails (but I do not know whether that will help).

Something really strange is going on. Squid runtime logs (both versions) do not match the two identical "squid -k parse" logs you have shared earlier. For example, at runtime, Squid v5 checks the following rules, in this order:

1. http_access ... ArticaTSTSite ...
2. http_access ... NoCacheMGR ...
3. http_access ... LocalClient ...
4. http_access ... MyIPSrc ...
5. http_access ... internal_icons ...
6. http_access ... MgrInfoUri ...

The first 10 rules in "squid -k parse" output are different! I pasted them below and marked those that are missing in runtime output:

1. http_access deny ArticaTSTSite ArticaTSTSiteAll
2. http_access allow NoCacheMGR ToArticaWWW
3. http_access allow LocalClient NoCacheMGR
4. http_access allow MyIPSrc NoCacheMGR
5. http_access allow internal_icons
6. Missing: http_access allow internal_icons
7. Missing: http_access deny NormalPorts to_localhost  CVEFix all
8. Missing: http_access deny NormalPorts manager  ManagerDeny all
9. Missing: http_access allow MgRPort manager all
10. http_access allow MgRPort MgrInfoUri all

The differences continue...

N.B. Rules 5 and 6 in parsing logs are the same, but Squid does not know that (yet?). Squid will parse, consume, and evaluate both (if they are reached and do not match). In runtime logs, Squid v5 only evaluates the first one (#5) and then goes to a MgrInfoUri rule that is listed as #6 in Squid v5 runtime logs and as #10 in parse logs, skipping four rules.

Runtime logs do not contain just the ACL names. They also contain rule numbers assigned at parsing time. The number should be incremented for every http_access rule Squid parses. Those numbers do not match "squid -k parse" output, reflecting the same "missing rules" problem, and elevating my confidence that other rules are missing at runtime.

Squid v6 runtime logs show the same problem, but the differences start later (and are more profound). For example, Squid v6 logs do not show Group212 ACL being evaluated (rule #151 in parse logs) but do show AnnotateFinalAllow ACL evaluated (rule #168 in parse logs and rule #43 in v6 runtime logs). Group98 (rule #116 in parse logs) is also missing from v6 runtime logs.

Parsing logs show 168 http_access rules.
Running Squid v5 appears to have 163 http_access rules.
Running Squid v6 appears to have 43 http_access rules!

Bugs notwithstanding, Squid does not "skip" http_access rules that it successfully parsed/consumed at startup or reconfiguration. Squid does not evaluate higher-numbered rules after a rule matches, but that is not what it happening here: For example, I see sequences where Squid v6 checks 43 rules from the first (in all logs) ArticaTSTSite rule to the last (in all logs) AnnotateFinalAllow rule; the other 125 rules (seen in "squid -k parse" logs) appear to be "missing" from v6 runtime logs.

I speculate that one of these things have happened (in no particular order):

A. I am confused by these partial logs.

B. Squid failed to parse/consume some http_access rules in your configuration files. The set of rules Squid failed to parse differs across v5 and v6. The logs do not detail parsing, so I cannot validate this theory, but it would explain the missing rules. In the vast majority of cases, there ought to be at least some level-0/1 cache.log errors or warnings about failing to parse/consume an http_access rule!

One way to validate this theory is to compare "squid -k parse" output with http_access lines in mgr:config cache manager report received from a running Squid instance. You may need to modify squid.conf to allow that cache manager query (see cachemgr_passwd). Squids, especially older ones, have various bugs in mgr:config output so a manual comparison may be needed.

Another way is to study "squid -k parse -X -d9" output that should have more details for Squid v6. This is similar to the trick in (D) below, but without runtime debugging.

C. Your "squid -k parse" commands do not match the actual configurations that Squids are parsing and then using at runtime. The same mgr:config trick from (B) above can be used to validate this theory.

D. Both Squids are suffering from some serious bug. The effects of that bug result in different actual/used http_access rule sets in each version.

One way to confirm theory D is to study ALL,9 logs collected from Squid v6 with "squid ... -X -d9" command line option (or a similar trick that will include initial parsing in the log). The logs should detail at least one transaction that should evaluate most http_access rules. Such logs will address concern (A) as well, but you will probably have to share them privately if you are using production configuration/instance.

HTH,

Alex.