Sorry Henrik, I use one old topic that had the same problem / configuration as I do, but I now a realize that there is a lot of them, I m sorry. I ll give details. I was having a problem that the file cache.log was full of these warnings

2004/01/23 19:38:38| ctx: exit level 0
2004/01/23 19:38:38| ctx: enter level 0: 'http://applications.atpco.net/extranet/coresystems/pdf/fm_rules_n3_b.pdf'
2004/01/23 19:38:38| httpProcessReplyHeader: Impossible keep-alive header from 'http://applications.atpco.net/extranet/coresystems/pdf/fm_rules_n3_b.pdf'

and I used one patch that you sent (keep-alive.patch ) and the warning decreased from 1 warning per 10 seconds to 1 warning per 4 or 5 hours (acceptble).
Today I have compiled squid-2.5.STABLE4-20040123.tar.bz2 to know if the problem was solved but the cache.log file starts to increase those warnings.

My topology:
I have two proxies that work together on the same LAN as MASTER/BACKUP SERVERs using HeartBeat. For users we have just one Proxy but if something happens to him, the another one will promptly assume all traffic. As we have an average of 4500 users, I force Proxy 1 to use Proxy 2 as a parent proxy so Proxy 2 can full its cache. When I start doing this configuration I had a problem that a solved using this line at my squid.conf
icp_query_timeout 2000
I don’t know if this is the best configuration to do this kind of topology but is working and any comments suggestions are welcome!!
Let me know if you need more details or configs.
I use slackware 9.1 with kernel 2.4.24 two PROLIANT ML350 servers with 2 G of RAM and 30 G of cache.

Many thanks in advance and congratulations for your great job, Leon.