Hi Solomon,

Solomon Asare wrote:
Hi,

--- Manoj_Rajkarnikar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Great job solomon. Many of us have been trying to
achieve similar with youtube and google vids. this will help a great deal. how big of a cachedir do you keep for youtube vids. should be quite a big to be able to cache the vids in large enough quantity to get a decent hit. I'm gonna try to achieve what you've describe here for my next
project.

Thanks for the job well done.

Manoj

Currently, my cache size is 70 GB. I have just filled
almost 25 GB. I will upgrade to either 200 or 500 GB
when I deploy.

I really appreciate your initiative and great work regarding caching youtube objects. Everybody will benefit from your work.

Are you intending to run a single cache of 500 GB in size or a couple of proxy caches amounting to 500 GB in size?

It's because running a 500 GB cache in a single machine is going to cause you problems along the way. Such a large cache will also be a little more difficult to maintain compared to a 10 or 20 GB cache.

Despite the low cost of hard drives these days, I would prefer to spread the disk storage over a couple of squid caches instead of a single cache. They can also be configured for load-balancing later.

If for some reasons, your cache gets corrupted, it might take a very long time to fix it and I am sure that Squid's median response might will get higher.

Anyway, it's just my suggestion.

Thanking you...

Solomon.

--