H.Lekin wrote:
Hello list,

I wish to run the Windows port of Squid 2.6 on an XP system with dial up access. The name server is supposed to be taken from the registry. This value is only set after dialing in, i.e. there is no name server defined when the service starts (cache.log: Warning: Could not find any nameservers...).

As several ISPs are used, dns_nameservers can't be specified in squid.conf.; the name server of ISP 1 does not work when dialed in via ISP 2. The public resolver name servers of the Open Root Server Network are blocked by the ISPs. The only DNS proxy - Acrylic - I could find needs a specified name server.

Unless the ISP are playing nasty games with DNS the squid option dns_nameservers should work. Squid tries all the listed NS and the first working one or fastest replying one is used.

If you see any other behavior I'd like to know.

Thanks