On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 04:51:16PM +1300, Amos Jeffries wrote:

>> Fair test would be reversing the hostname, which is very cheap operation. ;)
>
> No. Because most users will not write their ACL regex normally, and the
> regex has to match a forward-coded domain anyway. The squid algorithm
> works on forward-coded domains.
>
> A fair test, therefore uses each methods native comparison style from
> forward-coded domains as input. dstdomain does not even really use the
> terminator equivalent to $ in its matches, though it is assumed.

No, the idea was to test best case scenario. Atleast for me.

> Your initial claim was that simply assembling the regex was faster than
> dstdomain comparison.

Sorry, you must have been reading this thread too fast.

Me:
"Sometimes you just need to block more specific URLS"
"how to use them efficiently IF NEEDED"

It was the OTHER Henrik who was curious about dstdomain/regex speed. :-)

> You implied it very strongly with your statement that we should stop
> recommending dstdomain for domain-only ACL. The informed developers have
> never said NO regex. Only pointed out uses where its not worth using.

Never I have said that you should stop using dstdomain? What statement
specifically are you referring to?

I was merely pointing out that "avoid regex" was a bit too generic response,
when someone asked about high-speed ACLs. We don't know if the original
poster needed them. If you need to block specific URLs, obviously you can't
just start using dstdomain instead.