On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Travel Factory S.r.l.
<mc864...@mclink.it> wrote:

>> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 11:22 AM, nima chavooshi <nima0...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Thanks for your attention
>> > I want more statistic about bandwidth and hardware you can
>> handle with squid.
>>
>> We (the developers) would like that too :)
>
> Everytime I try to think about how to benchmark squid I can't find a way that
> can mimick real working conditions...
> Infact I'd like to test different configurations (ram/hd) but it is almost
> impossible to replicate the exact conditions (disk usage, buffers, internet
> speed....)
>
> One of the ideas is to take the access_log of a day (after completely zapping
> the cache) and then have two components: a client that asks for the pages at
> the time present in the log, and a server that intercepts all the squid
> request that replies with the data (same size) and correct answers 302, 304
> also from the log....

We're not really interested in benchmarks in fact, but real-world
useage data. Those are much more valuable to system administrators in
defining what they need to address a real-world situation. There are
projects underway to help with this efforts.
See for instance
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/BenchmarkCacheMgrPage and
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/PerformanceMeasure .
Any contribution in terms of ideas, requirements, wishes, and of
course code, is welcome.

--
   /kinkie