First, thanks for your reply...
Where did you get that "fact"? I don't recall that being true.
I got it from several sites and my collegue. Didn't get anything in changlogs of squidclamav or libc-icap-mod-squidclamav <http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/libc-icap-mod-squidclamav>.

* The old clamav integration provided the alternative URL automatically in the background and the browser would redirect to it without the user needing to do anything. * the ICAP filters mid-stream similar to havp. The early clamav server implementation did have issues around delaying the download while it pulled in and scanned the whole object. Not sure if that has been resolved or not.

If I define the http-request and http-response like the following, the response (download file) should be send directly to the client?!

icap_service clamscan_req reqmod_precache routing=1 bypass=1 icap://localhost:1344/srv_clamav icap_service clamscan_resp respmod_precache routing=1 bypass=1 icap://localhost:1344/srv_clamav

icap_service urlcheck_req reqmod_precache routing=1 bypass=1 icap://localhost:1344/urlscan

adaptation_service_chain CHAINS_REQ  urlcheck_req clamscan_req
adaptation_access        CHAINS_REQ  deny CONNECT
adaptation_access        CHAINS_REQ  allow all

adaptation_service_chain CHAINS_RESP clamscan_resp
adaptation_access        CHAINS_RESP allow all

(I do not use clamav, so may be wrong.)
Which AV-Scanner do you use with squid? I'm thinking about using F-Secure...

NP: When you go to squid3 you may want to use the 3.1.11 or later packages available in the Debian sid repositories. The squeeze package has a few annoying issues that do not qualify for fixing under the Debian policy.

In Debian squeeze there's currently squid 3.1.6-1.2 so I should give it a try, shouldn't I? I did not found a bug which is very important on http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?package=squid3.

Thank you. :) Cheers