On 02/15/2013 11:11 AM, dahanhsi wrote:

There you go then. Squid is not permitted to _use_ more than 1651 FD. Every
client TCP connection uses at least 1, sometimes 2 FD.
When all the FD are used up Squid waits until some are free'd before
accepting more client connections.

With "from 4651 to 9404" I would set your max_filedescriptors to at least
18000. It can be anything up to the ulimit max.
I set max_filedescriptors to 655360, and confirm that ulimit -n is also 655360.
After restart Squid, I observe that rate of connection timeout in
client is still about 10%, and no additional error such as
filedescriptors error found in cache.log or dmesg.

any ideas?
thanks

ulimit -n must be run as the same user that the proxy is running.

In debian/ubuntu that user is proxy, and if you type ulimit as root you will get a different answer that if you type ulimit logged in as proxy user.

Be sure  to check the ulimit for the right user.