On 17/07/2014 12:17 p.m., Nyamul Hassan wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 5:28 AM, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>>
>> Where does you Squid create .ipc files? Does that directory exist? Can
>> Squid write there?
>>

> You are right once again.  Although I have the configuration directive
> of "pid_filename pid_filename /var/run/squid/squid.pid", that
> apparently only tells squid about the particular file, not the
> "localstatedir".  The "localstatedir" is still set to what was
> configured during compile time.

Exactly. *_filename mean the *file name*.

Directives in Squid which configure directory locations end in *_dir.
Such as cache_dir, chroot_dir, coredump_dir and so forth.

> In my case, it was /var/local/squid-3.4.6/var/run/squid.  After
> changing permission, it worked!
>
> I got confused with this bug report:
>
> Thank you!
>
> Shouldn't Squid complain that it could not write to "localstatedir"?

The presence of localstatedir in this process is an artifact of Linux.
Other OS use other places unrelated to localstatedir. And as far as
Squid is concerned it is opening a UDS network socket. So there is not
really an easy way to reliably tell where the permission error is coming
from (and our weak attempt to do so produces the commBind FUD).

PS. when building custom builds you may want to follow the OS-specific
build instructions for your system layout. With just --prefix altered to
setup a pseudo chroot location.
 Sounds like for you that would be
<http://wiki.squid-cache.org/KnowledgeBase/Debian#Compiling>