Hey,

The question is much more complicated then presented.
To make windows updates to be cached you need to understand much more then just squid basics! You will need to analyze and reverse engineer windows updates ways of updating a PC and only then decide on the right way to do that. It is not recommended to use the method you have chosen to use DNS manipulation but it is a way.

Many have asked to do what you want\need and failed in the past due to the complexity of the task.

I cannot recommend you on a way to implement it since I have not touched the subject for quite a while now but I do recommend you to raise the http request and response debug level inside squid to understand what is being requested and what is being served to narrow down the reason for your issue.

Feel free to ask a more specific questions about http levels of the issue.

All The Bests,
Eliezer