s�n, 10.04.2005 kl. 00.51 skrev me lmiddle:

[...]

>   The squirrelmail version has always been in the Subject line. That 
> immediately after
> data.. anyways..
> I already said I could authenticate. using LOGIN so it is not a server 
> problem.

So you configured SM wrong. I wouldn't know how you configured it, since
I'm not clairvoyant.

> Since I also tried the latest dovecot and authenticated manually fine I can 
> say that is 
> not the problem as well. Out of curiousity tell me if your squirrelmail is 
> working fine
> then what exact routine does the heavy lifting of Username and the Password 
> across the wire?

I use Courier IMAP 3.0.7 (without the new authlib module) on a
production rig and 4.0.2 (with the new authlib module) on this
test/semi-production rig and both work fine. I use an LDAP backend for
both.

What does "heavy lifting of Username and the Password across the wire"
mean? Both installations have all servers on the same machine, so no
users or passwords go across the wire. If they did, I'd use TLS or SSL -
which I don't have to at the moment.
 
> auth.php? 

Straight SM source, 1.5.1 CVS on both sites, both on Red Hat RHAS3. I
don't use auth.php, don't even know what it is.

> Logs on a fail? well OK
> Apr  9 16:41:51 this.hostname imapd: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], 
> command=LOGIN
> Apr  9 16:41:51 this.hostname imapd: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], 
> username=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Apr  9 16:41:51 this.hostname imapd: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], 
> password=
> Apr  9 16:41:56 this.hostname imapd: LOGIN FAILED, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
> Apr  9 16:41:56 this.hostname imapd: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], 
> command=LOGOUT

This is old-fashioned stuff, like Courier logging has since been
modified by Brian Candler. The newest versions will give you meaningful
logging, if you screw the debug version up in the authdaemond config
module.

The above logging is more or less meaningless, as you see.

> Like I said it FAILED. Since I can login just fine from my imap client as well
> as by hand the imap server is not the problem IMO. 

No indeed, somehow you configured SM wrongly.

> The server can only respond to what it gets over the stream. Follow?

I follow ;)

>  So please 
> do not tell me mine is fine like this useful in any way. Or would you like it 
> in hex?

The point would seem to be, that mine works and yours doesn't (1.4.3a
worked too). I don't have a problem (nor do thousands of others), you
do. So the onus is on you, not me.

My only guess without you telling us all how you did it, is that you've
configured SM incorrectly. Not a difficult guess, in fact.

How did you configure the IMAP server in SM?

> Here is what the imap server says it is willing to support. Some call it 
> features..
> Courier version 0.46 and dovecot 1.0 stable * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 
> UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA 
> IDLE ACL ACL2=UNION STARTTLS] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2004 Double 
> Precision, Inc.  See COPYING for distribution information

I don't know anything about Dovecot and never will. Courier IMAP 0.46
would tend to suggest you're using the excruciating Courier smtp server,
which includes Courier IMAP but has "funny" version numbers. Anyway,
even 04 would be way too old, that's been at 0.5 for some time.

Update to Courier authlib 0.55, Courier IMAP 4.0.2, configure
authdaemond correctly for whatever password backend you use, read the
sodding Courier docs, reconfigure SM  and come back.

--Tonni

-- 
Nothing sucksseeds like a pigeon without a beak ...

mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.billy.demon.nl
 
They love us, don't they, They feed us, won't they ...



-------------------------------------------------------
SF email is sponsored by - The IT Product Guide
Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT Products from real users.
Discover which products truly live up to the hype. Start reading now.
http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_ide95&alloc_id396&op=click
--
squirrelmail-users mailing list
Posting Guidelines: 
http://squirrelmail.org/wiki/wiki.php?MailingListPostingGuidelines
List Address: [email protected]
List Archives: 
http://news.gmane.org/thread.php?group=gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user
List Archives:  http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_id)95
List Info: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/squirrelmail-users

Reply via email to