Hi,

Developing such a solution is going to be quite complicated any way you look at
it, and will require deep understanding of a number of things in order to
operate it, and there are a number of tradeoffs you’ll need to make based on
your exact use case. I don’t think a mailing list discussion is a going to get
you the skills required to build a solution like this - you have quite a bit of
study ahead of you.

However, if you cannot use DNS (why?) I can think of a few other options -
these are presented merely as a starting point for your investigations - you’ll
need to have a strong understanding of these in order to make decisions about
which is appropriate for you:
1) Anycast - this uses IP routing to get to the closest instance of an IP
address. You might want to combine that with a redirect if the message is sent
to the anycast IP, to have the client do subsequent things by talking to the
“real” IP of the server.
2) Use geoip to figure out where a user is, and redirect them to the closest
instance if they are not already talking to that. Client will need to be
configured to one of the servers? Or all of them with some sort of preference?
Not sure what is appropriate for you here.
3) Use geoip like (2) but with a single central server, which replies with 301.
This may work for some use cases - i.e. inbound heavy, and may not work with
all clients.

There are a bunch of considerations - for example, what is “closest” ? I don’t
expect you to answer that to me, but, you will need to have a clear definition
before you can embark on this project.